The sky opened, and we ran

Yesterday we walked 9 miles; today we walked 11.5. How did that happen? Well we started our morning walking through La Condesa. It is a really beautiful area here in the city. You can tell by the exterior of the buildings that there is a lot more money here compared to other areas of the city. Many of the local restaurants offer organic options which if you have traveled through Mexico, you would know right away that it is something rare. In fact, outside of Mexico City, we have never really seen anything like it. That is not to say that it doesn’t happen; it is just that it can be hard to find.

Because we got a late start today, we ended up skipping our oatmeal and instead opted for going to one of the organic restaurants in La Condesa. I ordered the Chilaquilas with eggs and Alisa ordered some kind of yogurt concoction that was really tasty. While we ate we read a local paper and found a really interesting article about the new voting ballots here. It was a little confusing because I am not familiar with the political parties but it seems to me that they are tying to make things more transparent. I am not sure how the local people feel about their current voting system, but the paper was trying its best to ease the people’s concerns.

We took a nice walk through the Chapultepec Forrest. There were a lot of people which is a something you need to adjust to if you are going to visit this city. Because there are so many people, there are a lot of people trying to sell things. Walking in the forrest can be a little overwhelming because of the hundreds of venders that surround the walkways. People are yelling to get your attention.  It’s an interesting experience, but nothing can really prepare you for it. Fortunately, if you go deeper into the forest, the crowds and the vendors thin out quite a bit and you can really experience the magic of this place.

Originally we intended to visit the Chapultepec castle which is located at the entrance of the castle, but we were distracted by a smaller museum close by called El Museo del Caracol. The entire museum is a large spiral which houses 12 small exhibit rooms which cover the history of Mexico’s independence. We started off by reading everything but after about an hour or so, we could not do it any longer. It’s really sad, but we sailed though most of the exhibits. Combined with all the walking we have done and all the sun we’ve taken in, it was just too much. It will be nice to return and learn about the history of Mexico’s independence; perhaps when we come back we will make an effort to do it.

We decided to head back to the historic section of the city and do some shopping. The subway was a mess. There were so many people underground that it was hard to breath. I am used to taking the Max in Portland where personal space is something people appreciate but on the subway here, it is a completely different story. It is really something to experience when you see that your stop is coming, but you keep getting pushed farther and farther back on the train. Once your stop arrives, you have to fight to get out of the train while dozens of people are trying to get in. We decided to not take our transfer and instead walk the half mile to our destination.

When we exited the subway we were greeted by a huge open market where ladies were dancing to try to get people to go inside. We continued walking toward the historic district and there was so much going on that was interesting that we decided to try to do a quick vlog entry. When we arrived at the historic district there were pink bicycles set up on the side of the road (pink it seems is the official color of Mexico City) and someone asked us if we wanted to go on a free bike tour. I was excited and Alisa was willing. The traffic here is crazy and the thought of riding a bike through it is kind of scary. Actually what was more scary than the traffic was having to wear the helmets without functional straps and knowing that probably hundreds of people have worn them. Aside from that small detail, the bike ride was a lot of fun and about as crazy as you could imagine. We got to retrace our steps through the market and take a tour around the Zócalo loop. I took some video of the trip, and will probably use it later in a Vlog.

We ate lunch at our favorite restaurant here in Mexico City, Los Callejeros. The food is amazing. The portions are small, but it is made up by the fact that each taco only cost about 80 cents, and they are worth every penny. We ordered several tacos and were in taco heaven by the time we were done. This place is worth the trip to Mexico. You will never experience anything quite like it back in the U.S. I wish I had the vocabulary to express how pleased my stomach was with me, but I can’t so I won’t even try.

When we visited Mexico City in 2017 we found a small alleyway that connected two main roads in the historic section of down town. There were a lot of local artisan products there ranging from t-shirts to salsas and much more. We bought a few items but we decided to be prudent and return the next day. When we returned, the it was completely empty. The market would not be back until the following weekend. Unfortunately, we were returning to the U.S. the next day, and we never got to see the market again until today. Since it was Saturday, the market was in full swing. Alisa got to buy some jewelry, a new shirt, and a few other small things. It was a little expensive, but these are things that you normally do not find in a tourist shop. We also bought a popsicle on the way into the market. The owner said they were flavored like cocktails, so we bought one. To our surprise they tasted more like tequila than popsicles.

They actually had tequila in them

Around 5pm we were really tired and decided to head back to our AirBnB. When we returned to the subway, things had not improved. I personally did not want to go back into a train with that many people at the same time, so we decided to walk the four miles back to our place. Looking back on it now, it was probably better to have taken the train. As soon as we got about 500 feet from the station, the heavens opened up and it started pouring on us. The thousands of people on the streets cleared and we ran to a nearby gazebo. There were about 100+ people underneath the structure. People were cheering, singing, and dancing; it was crazy. Not willing to loose an opportunity, people started walking through the crowd trying to sell cigarettes. About an hour later, the rain ceased, and more people arrived selling umbrellas and plastic rain coats. Where did they come from? Before the storm started it was hot and there was no sign of rain.

Donning my rain coat and our new umbrella, we walked from the city center back to our AirBnB. We stopped by a local store and bought a few Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s